Sunday, 28 June 2015

Interview: Kev Harte (Film-Maker) (June 2015)

Kev Harte - Film-maker & Family Man!
Film-maker Kev Harte of Abandon Hope Films makes short films. He is a busy parent and dedicates his time to his family and went to Teesside, University. His current project features Seize the Night's Emma Dark (See, HERE). His latest Indiegogo Project can be found, HERE. It is called: The Morning Star Preserves.

What can you tell us about your latest Project on Indiegogo?
The Morning Star Preserves its what i think of as a fantasy/horror. I wanted to approach this project differently than my previous films, and had to decide, what is the hook here? What will make this unique. So I just started thinking of images I wanted to shoot, an image of the factory in the script, The Assignments Room where the  decisions of the company get made etc. And it was the grand image of a room full of jars suspended from ceilings that I just couldn't shake. The story was really made and constructed from that sole image.

But , without giving too much of the it away, and if you know a thing or two, the title should give u an idea, I feel the film does have a unique approach and individual idea that, hopefully people can really get on board with. I want the flick to be exciting and , if there is such a thing these days, scary! Of course all of this take money and people. Previous, I was a one man band really,shooting and editing,lighting the whole lot, but doing all that its easy to get complacent and take your eye of the goal.It distracts you from directing your actors when they need it, as you get pre-occupied with what lens should be on the camera, is the lighting correct etc. So even though the amount we are asking for £5000 seems very little, I believe we can do it, and make sure all involved get paid for Their work. Its certainly not for me lol.

How did Emma Dark come on-board?
Pretty straight forward really.We have mutual friends in the indie world and I approached Emma about actresses, and right away she was like, what about me?? Which is what I wanted in the first place, but she is a lady with a lot of things going on, so one doesn't like to get in the way.Luckily enough, she let me get in the way ha. Since then, we have been in contact every day mostly, talking about movies or plans for advertising etc. A great actress to have on any project and a great person full stop really.

When did start your film-making journey?
I have always loved horror. Carpenter's Halloween (1978) blew my mind when i seen it as a kid, I know it shouldn't have lol, but ah well, and that set me off . Even though I am a fan of film in general horror is my preference. I started out toying around , making small things on a crappy little digital camera, and a few years ago I figured I should take it more serious. I went back into education, and actually finished this year. BA honours degree in Film and TV production . It was the toughest decision I have made to be honest, especially with a wife and two kids. But luckily enough I have a really supportive family and they have backed me all the way. Sometimes I felt like, balls to this , what am I doing here, when you are stood in the pissing rain on a film set showing people where the honey wagon is lol, but its all a learning curve to where i am know, essentially, the true beginning of my film making career, that hopefully I can continue with the support of the horror community.

And if you don't reach your funds? What next?
Well, I can't say it wont be disheartening, but these are the chances of crowd-funding. Anyone who goes into crowd-funding needs to be realistic, as I am, it will either make what you need or not. That's why I can't really afford to do the film for less. I am not willing to pay my actors or crew for less than they deserve, and I cant work with less than the project deserves. If we don't make it, the project will be put on hold until we can do it right. I am looking at other avenues of investment, but I believe with the right push we can make it. Between everyone involved, we all know over 500 people, if just those 500 pledged ten pounds, we would be laughing. At the minute, I'm smiling nervously! I hope to work with Emma Dark in the future.

Kev Harte hopes to work with friend, Emma Dark on his new project - please, donate!
Note: Miss Emma Dark would like to add: "I'm very pleased to be working with Kev on a film that both is highly original and and will undoubtedly have the highest quality of artistic direction."





No comments:

Post a Comment